Deals this week: Statoil, Power Assets Holdings, and Studsvik

28 April 2016 (Last Updated April 28th, 2016 18:30)

Statoil has acquired a 50% stake in the 385MW Arkona offshore windfarm from E.ON.

Statoil Arkona

Statoil has acquired a 50% stake in the 385MW Arkona offshore windfarm from E.ON.

The two 50:50 joint venture (JV) partners will invest approximately €1.2bn ($1.34bn) in the project, which is scheduled for commission in 2019.

Situated north-east of Rugen Island in Germany, the offshore windfarm will be installed with 60 6MW Siemens turbines. Their output will be capable of supporting approximately 400,000 households.

Power Assets Holdings (PAH) and Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings (CKI) entered an agreement to acquire some of the Husky Energy's assets, including approximately 1,900km of pipeline in the Lloydminster region, 4.1 million barrels of oil storage capacity at Hardisty and Lloydminster, and other ancillary assets in Canada.

The two companies will pay C$1.7bn ($1.3bn), which includes a project debt of C$545m ($430m). The transaction is expected to be completed by July 2016, when a new limited partnership will be formed.

PAH will hold a 48.75% stake in the new JV, whereas CKI will hold a 16.25% stake. Husky Energy will hold a 35% stake and serve as the operator.

Studsvik and Kobe Steel have agreed to form a JV named Kobelco Studvik. It will provide waste management solutions to the nuclear industry in Japan.

Steel manufacturing company Kobe Steel will hold a 51% interest in the JV, whereas nuclear services provider Studsvik will hold the remaining 49% interest.

"Situated north-east of Rugen Island in Germany, the offshore windfarm will be installed with 60 6MW Siemens turbines."

Colbun has reached an agreement to acquire SunEdison's 145MW Parque Solar Olmue solar plant, located in Valparaiso, Chile. Also included is the 57MW Hagia Sophia Solar Power Plant, located in Tiltil, Chile.

The agreement includes supply of 200GWh per year of solar energy to SunEdison, and the transfer of power-supply contracts entered with distributors by SunEdison, representing 350GWh per year for 15 years.

United Photovoltaics Group's 100% subsidiary United Photovoltaics (Changzhou) Investment has entered an agreement with Forty-eighth Research Institute of China Electronics Technology Group Corporation to acquire a 98.87% equity interest in Guodian Wulateqianqi Photovoltaics Power for CNY490m ($75.38m).

Guodian Wulateqianqi Photovoltaics Power is a subsidiary of Fourty-eighth Research Institute of China Electronics Technology Group Corporation and currently operates a 50MW solarpower plant in Inner Mongolia. It will become an indirect subsidiary to United Photovoltaics (Changzhou) Investment, on completion of the transaction. The buyer intends to fund the payment through a combination of internal resources and external financing.


Image: The Arkona windfarm will provide electricity for 400,000 households in Germany. Photo: courtesy of Statoil.