Siemens wins $800m contract for Lordstown gas-fired power plant in the US

7 April 2016 (Last Updated June 18th, 2020 17:27)

Siemens has secured an $800m contract from Clean Energy Future to supply turbines and generators for the proposed natural gas-fired combined cycle power plant (CCPP) in Lordstown, Ohio, US.

Siemens

Siemens has secured an $800m contract from Clean Energy Future to supply turbines and generators for the proposed natural gas-fired combined cycle power plant (CCPP) in Lordstown, Ohio, US.

The contract requires Siemens to deliver two SGT6-8000H gas turbines, one SST6-5000 steam turbine, two air-cooled SGen6-1200A generators and one hydrogen-cooled SGen6-2000H steam generator for the 940MW CCPP.

Siemens plans to manufacture the gas turbines and steam turbine at its Charlotte Energy Hub facility. The company said its H-class technology has been designed for fast and flexible operation to support renewable integration.

The scope of the contract also includes two NEM heat recovery steam generators and electrical equipment, as well as the instrumentation control system SPPA-T3000.

Siemens North America power and gas division sales head John Gibson said: "As we look at the future of power generation in the United States, projects like the Lordstown Energy Center provide an example of how communities can harness cleaner-burning and affordable natural gas to provide efficient and reliable power."

"Expected to begin operations in mid-2018, the facility will generate electricity that will power approximately 800,000 households."

Expected to begin operations in mid-2018, the facility will generate electricity that will power approximately 800,000 households.

Siemens also signed a long-term service agreement to help ensure the reliability, availability and operational performance of the units by providing advanced remote monitoring and diagnostics.

The company will provide 27% equity investment for the project, while Macquarie Infrastructure Partners III (MIP III) will provide the remaining 73%.

Macquarie Infrastructure Partners III CEO Chris Leslie said: "LEC is expected to utilise the latest in high efficiency gas turbine power generation technology, technology that is both cost-effective and more environmentally friendly than the ageing coal-fired capacity that it will replace."


Image: A Siemens-built SGT6-8000H gas turbine. Photo: courtesy of Siemens.