Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
January 7, 2022

RWE and Northland Power partner to develop offshore wind cluster

The three facilities will be located north of the island of Juist and are expected to come online between 2026 and 2028.

UK-based renewable energy firm RWE Renewables and Canadian power company Northland Power have formed a joint venture (JV) structure, through which they plan to co-develop a 1.3GW cluster of offshore wind farms in the German North Sea.

The cluster will feature three offshore wind facilities that are expected to come online between 2026 and 2028.

It will be located north of the island of Juist, near Northland and RWE’s 332MW Nordsee One wind farm.

Under the terms of the agreement, RWE Renewables will hold a 51% share in the JV, with the remaining 49% being held by Northland Power.

RWE Renewables Offshore Wind CEO Sven Utermöhlen said: “Germany has set itself ambitious climate targets, thereby establishing a significant growth potential for renewable energies.

“Offshore wind power plays a central role in this and is indispensable for supporting the decarbonisation of industry in particular.”

Content from our partners
Green investment: What gives Scotland multiple advantages
How Hengst helped to keep Germany’s charity “star singers” shining
How one power station prevented frequent shutdowns with three-stage air filtration

The offshore cluster will include the 433MW N-3.8 site (previously known as Nordsee 2), as well as the N-3.5 site (Nordsee 3) and the N-3.6 site (Delta Nordsee 1&2).

The N-3.5 site has 420MW of capacity, while the N-3.6 site’s total capacity amounts to 480MW.

RWE and Northland have already secured the N-3.8 site through a German offshore wind auction last year, with the other two sites expected to be auctioned next year.

The partners intend to unlock synergies while developing and operating the offshore cluster to bolster their position in the German offshore market.

Northland Power president and CEO Mike Crawley said: “We are proud to enhance our partnership with RWE to form the cluster to further strengthen our position in the North Sea.

“This cluster will provide us with significant size and scale and allows us to support the decarbonisation efforts in Germany.”

Last month, RWE secured a concession to develop the Thor offshore wind project in Denmark.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Wednesday. The power industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU