View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
October 23, 2019

SKER secures contracts for 376MW of wind power capacity in Brazil

Statkraft Energias Renovaeis (SKER) has won contracts to add 375.6MW new wind power capacity to the grid in Brazil.

Statkraft Energias Renovaeis (SKER) has won contracts to add nearly 376MW of new wind power capacity to the grid in Brazil.

SKER is 81.3% owned by the Norwegian state-owned hydropower company Statkraft and the remaining 18.7% is owned by Brazilian pension fund Fundação dos Economiários Federais (FUNCEF).

Statkraft CEO Christian Rynning-Tønnesen said: “This a great achievement and a milestone on the way to fulfil our ambition of developing 6000MW of wind power globally by 2025.”

Beginning in January 2025, SKER will supply energy for a fixed average price of BRL96 ($23.5) to BRL100 ($24.5) /MWh for 20 years.

The company will supply the clean energy to the grid from the energy generated by Ventos de Santa Eugenia, which it recently acquired from the market and from Serra de Mangabeira, a windfarm that was developed as an extension to Bahia windfarm.

In total the two facilities have a combined capacity of 498MW. SKER intends to use the remaining 120MW in upcoming auctions or subject to free-market contracts. It also intends to start negotiations with suppliers immediately, to have the new wind power capacity by the end of 2024.

The power purchase agreements (PPAs) that will be executed with the Brazilian distribution companies by SKER will cover approximately 40% (766GWh/year) of the output, while the remaining 60% of the production will be sold in the free market based on spot prices or corporate PPAs.

Statkraft won 48.3% of contracts of the total wind power capacity in its first auction in Brazil.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Wednesday. The power industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy


Thank you for subscribing to Power Technology