Safety needs in the power industry are diverse, with different power generation and transmission systems presenting different challenges. While protection against electrical hazards such as arc flashes and or electrocutions is a concern across the industry, additional specific safety measures are required, depending on the location and type of power systems.
In addition to adopting industry-standard power equipment and cable safety systems, power operators and contractors need to prevent boiler and chemical hazards, fires and explosions, and personal accidents to ensure occupational and environmental safety.
Finding suppliers of power equipment and electrical safety solutions
Power Technology has listed leading suppliers of safety equipment, tools, and software solutions for the power industry.
The list covers a range of safety solutions, including switches, extenders, cylinder protectors, fire protection and gas detection systems, electrical personal protective equipment (PPE), and personal escape equipment for wind turbine workers, as well as advanced communication and software solutions for safe power operations.
The information contained within the download document is designed for power plant construction and operations managers; electrical engineers and consultants; health, safety and environment (HSE) advisors and officers; as well as other individuals involved in power plant and electrical safety.
The download contains detailed information on the power safety equipment and solutions providers, as well as their products, services, and contact details to aid with purchasing or hiring decisions.
Safety equipment and solutions for the power industry
The power industry has witnessed significant safety improvements across the key segments of electricity generation, transmission and distribution, due to advanced power equipment designs and adherence to approved operating and maintenance procedures.
Power equipment companies, plant operators, electrical utilities and contractors require safety equipment and solutions that are durable, reliable, and cost-effective.
The safety systems, equipment and services used by the power industry include:
- Cable protectors and ground protection mats for heavy electrical equipment
- Fire detectors and extinguishing systems, including clean agent and carbon dioxide fire suppression systems
- High-resistance marking labels for electrical components and wires, tamper-proof electrical lockout kits, and safety signs
- ATEX and IECEX-certified equipment and non-magnetic titanium tools
- Advanced arc flash protective suits, as well as safety glasses for electrical utilities, power generation and power transmission workers
- Personal escape equipment, including descent control and life raft entry control devices, for wind turbine technicians
- Survival suits for all marine power applications
- Insulated Verband der Elektrotechnik (VDE), electrostatic discharge (ESD) and anti-drop tools
- Terrestrial trunked radio (TETRA) and digital mobile radio (DMR) communication systems for power plants operating in harsh and remote environments
- Extender, switch and matrix solutions
- Explosion-proof lighting and portable power solutions
- Radar-based maritime surveillance software