TransGard Specially Engineered Fences to Deter Wildlife and Prevent Power Outages
For more than 20 years, TransGard fences have prevented power outages from squirrels, raccoons, snakes, and other climbing animals.
TransGard’s patented fencing is the only system trusted to protect more than 2,500 North American substations.
Fences to protect substations from climbing animals
Every year, animals cause hundreds of substation outages that leave thousands without power and cost millions in repairs.
For more than 20 years, specially engineered TransGard fences have prevented power outages from a variety of climbing animals. TransGard offers substation operators critical advantages:
- Proven animal deterrence
- Patented design
- Lower-cost and more effective alternative to other types of animal mitigation
- Fast, simple installation
- Durable, maintenance-free construction provides years of performance
With the prevention of a single outage, a substation operator recoups the cost of a TransGard system. America’s largest utilities, regional providers and rural electric cooperatives have relied on TransGard for more than two decades.
Mild electric shock fencing for substations
TransGard fences deliver a mild electric shock that deters climbing animals but will not harm them, or humans – a humane approach that, according to Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), offers the most effective barrier against animal incursion.
The patented TransGard System offers unique features that provide exceptional results and years of uninterrupted performance:
- Freestanding system: Installs on the ground, requiring no postholes, foundation or concrete
- Less hassle, lower cost: TransGard requires far less material, expense and time than a perimeter fence
- Easy installation: A crew of three can complete a TransGard enclosure in just four hours with basic tools. There is also no power interruption required during installation
- Modular panels: Use any fence panel as a hinged gateway for maintenance access and easily reconfigure a fence or expand an existing system
- Engineered entryway: Non-electrified entry system offers a smooth finish and tight clearances to prevent animal intruders
- Alert strobe: LED module offers clear visual indication of operational system and can be integrated into SCADA for remote monitoring
- Durable materials: PVC and steel construction requires no scheduled maintenance and offers a 20-year track record of service in all weather conditions
- Galvanized steel bases: Specially designed circular stand bases create a strong, level fencing system
- Snake protection: TransGard’s optional snake prevention panels deter snakes as small as 1/4" in diameter
Transgard fences feature a unique modular design that offers fast installation, easy access and simple reconfiguration or expansion. The system features three primary components.
Entryways offer access to the substation’s equipment. The Control Centre houses the electronic components that operate the system and modular panels form the fence perimeter. The system’s components are connected to the power source and each other via 12.5 gauge galvanized steel jumper wires.
Electrical fences for all weather conditions
TransGard Systems was founded in upstate New York in 1990, in response to multiple animal-caused outages every year at substations operated by Rochester Gas & Electric.
The company’s fences were designed, developed and enhanced through collaboration with utilities, and later patented. After years of steady growth, TransGard Systems moved to New Freedom, PA, in 2009 to take advantage of centralised distribution and the area’s manufacturing workforce.
TransGard company facts
- More than 2,500 installations in North America
- Documented elimination of animal outages
- Only system that delivers a humane, effective shock to climbing animals
- Adopted by dozens of utilities in all regions of North America
- Functions in snow, ice, high winds and other conditions
- Eliminates the expense of costly perimeter fences
- Deters squirrels, raccoons, snakes, ringtails, cats, Cuban tree frogs and other climbing animals
For more details on TransGard Systems, visit www.TransgardFence.com. Read our case studies, learn more about what our customers say, or use our ‘Request for Quote’ form and we’ll get back to you in 24 hours or less.
Products and Services
The full panel is the largest modular panel.
Full Panel With Snake Guard
TransGard's Full Panel With Snake Guard comes with an optional snake guard to prevent incursion from snakes as small as ¼” in diameter.
The Step-Plate Entryway provides entry to the system enclosure.
This product offers a secondary entrance and is used for enclosures that require multiple access points or additional exits.
System Control Centre
TransGard's System Control Centre houses the system’s electronic components.
Substations across the US have seen an increase in the number of raccoon-related outages.Read more
TransGard Systems has unveiled a new control centre for its substation fencing, the industry’s leading defence against outages caused by climbing animals.Read more
Every year, climbing animals that find their way into US substations cause power outages that affect hundreds of thousands of customers and cost millions in repairs, man-hours, and lost business.Read more