Maintenance and Service for Motors and Generators up to 600MW
- Company Details
- Products & Services
- White Papers
- Press Releases
- Regional Offices
- Contact Company
Quartzelec is a leading independent electrical engineering service provider offering solutions and services for rotating machines (motors and generators up to 600MW) and associated static plants utilised in the global power-generation markets. These services include repair and rewind, overhaul, maintenance, service, diagnostic testing and major spares support.
The company has the ability to work on any OEM-manufactured machine and / or equipment, including those built by GEC, GEC Alsthom, ALSTOM and Cegelec.
Servicing of rotating electrical machines
Quartzelec provides support services for rotating electrical machines, covering the following areas: steam turbine generators, gas turbine generators, hydro generators, large AC motors (including FD and ID fan motors, BF pump and CW pump motors) and ancillary equipment (which includes excitation, protection and control).
Rotating machines maintenance, LTSAs and LEPs
Rotating machines by definition will suffer electrical and mechanical stress, wear out, overheat, corrode and can even catastrophically fail. It is vital to have a structured maintenance and repair strategy in place to avoid costly downtime and reduce total cost of ownership.
Long-term service agreements (LTSAs) and life enhancement programs (LEPs) ensure optimal plant reliability and efficiency. Engineering solutions extend the lifecycle of the project wherever possible, providing:
- Lifetime care and maintenance packages from basic annual inspection to total risk management
- Performance-based contracts
- 24/7 support service
- Immediate breakdown response
- Engineered solutions to extend machine life
Rotating machine design and engineering
Quartzelec's design and engineering services for rotating electrical machines include:
- Design / redesign of all electrical rotating machines, motors and generators, cores, windings, retaining rings, supports, blocking and insulation
- Protection system design
- Feasibility studies for IEPs
- Excitation and AVR system design and supply
- Providing solutions to inherent design issues for rotating machines
Rotating machine repair and refurbishment
Quartzelec provides repair, rewinding, refurbishment and retrofitting of rotating machines including motors and generators from 415V up to 22kV, as well as repair of static and rotating mechanical plant. Workshop engineering and on-site diagnosis is a key part of the service.
Winding and re-insulation of electric motors, cryogenic decontamination (cryogenic cleaning), in-situ installation of replacement components and ancillary equipment, and on-site machining, including commutator skims for large DC drives, are also amongst its capabilities.
Installation and commissioning of rotating electrical machines
Quartzelec can install and commission rotating electrical machines and components, with services including:
- New machines (AC and DC / motors and generators)
- Repaired / refurbished machines
- Protection systems
- Ancillary control and instrumentation equipment, excitation systems
- On-site equipment commissioning
Site service for rotating machines
Electrical maintenance (with or without unit shutdown), non-destructive testing (electrical and mechanical), site safety, fire-detection system maintenance, condition-based maintenance, value system maintenance, and automation, operator and maintenance training are services for rotating machines that Quartzelec can provide at customers' sites.
Major overhauls for rotating electrical machines
Major overhauls for rotating electrical machines can also be carried out. Winding and insulation, shafts, bearings, oil and hydrogen seals, couplings and retaining rings, and rotor and stator components can be replaced either on-site or at Quartzelec's workshop.
Diagnostics and life assessment testing
Diagnostics and life assessment testing services include:
- In-situ balancing and laser realignment
- Remnant life assessments
- Condition monitoring (online and offline)
New equipment and spares supply for rotating machines
New equipment and spares supply includes:
- Design, manufacture and reverse engineering to OEM specifications
- Sourcing of replacement machines and associated parts
- Authorised stockists of leading LV/HV motor manufacturers
- Supply and management of capital spares and machine components
- Spares manufacture to OEM design and standard
- Stockholding and management for maintenance contracts
- Manufacture of certified terminal boxes
Quartzelec is a highly dynamic organisation. Staff are available 24/7 and dedicated to supporting customers with specialist expertise through a network of regional offices and workshop facilities. This gives the company the capability to provide worldwide support.
Castle Mound Way
Contact: Steve Cooper (Manager - Power Generation)
+44 1788 512512
+44 1788 542350
Available White Papers
Damaged Generator Rotors: The Economical and Logistical Benefits of Repair Over Scrappage Many would agree that one of the worst possible electrical failure mechanisms on a generator rotor is a motoring event while the rotor is at a standstill.